Monday, June 1, 2009

David

Now for David. We have seen how Samson fell and Joseph fled, and now we'll see how David found repentance. I think more of us can relate to David than the other two. Actually I think vastly more people struggle even more than Samson but I think more sincerely devoted Christians can relate best to David. David had many wives and much temptation. The best known story of David is his battle with Goliath. David inspires boldness and faith in me as I face giants today, I remember how David wasn't comparing himself to Goliath but comparing Goliath to God. David's life was not unremarkable although he began as the youngest son of a Shepard. God choose him out of all Isreal to replace Saul as king. God rejects Saul as king, it even says he was sorry he made him king. The Greek work used for sorry there indicates a deep sigh. He was grieved that He had made Saul king because Saul would reveal to the people that their desire for a king was unwise. Why was God sorry? I think it indicates that God was disappointed in Isreal for asking for a king and then He had to show them that men sin and there would be no man worthy of divine rule. God as our King is irreplaceable. But more specifically, the most recent act of Saul was disobedience. God had told Saul to utterly wipe out all of the Amalekites and so Saul did, almost. He saved the best of the livestock and the king but killed and destroyed everything he didn't consider of value. If this were a test Saul would probably get an A. I mean he did almost everything right. But God was grieved by Sauls incomplete obedience.
Enter David. Let's take a story of David's life and grade him. How about the story of David and Bathsheba? This account is found in 2 Samuel 11:1 and following.

" 1 Then it happened in the spring, at the time when kings go out to battle, that David sent Joab and his servants with him and all Israel, and they destroyed the sons of Ammon and besieged Rabbah. But David stayed at Jerusalem."

First of all, David wasn't where he should have been. He should have been out on the battle field with his men.


"2 Now when evening came David arose from his bed and walked around on the roof of the king's house, and from the roof he saw a woman bathing; and the woman was very beautiful in appearance.

3 So David sent and inquired about the woman. And one said, "Is this not Bathsheba, the daughter of Eliam, the wife of Uriah the Hittite?"

4 David sent messengers and took her, and when she came to him, he lay with her; and when she had purified herself from her uncleanness, she returned to her house."


David certainly shouldn't have been on the roof of the palace. It was customary for women to bathe on the rooftop at this particular time of day and for men to avoid the sight. Surely, David knew better. But David was already hooked. He had seen her and wanted her. He sent for her even after knowing she was married to one of his bravest and most loyal soldiers. What we see here is a clear lack of self control. Proverbs 25:28 tells us, "Like a city whose walls are broken down is a man who lacks self-control." A particularly interesting thing about this passage is who wrote it. Solomon did. Perhaps he learned the lesson from his mom and dad, David and Bathsheba. I love that! I can just imagine Solomon as a teenager sitting with Dad and Dad saying "Son, I hope you will learn from my mistakes." as he recounts the story of how his parents had hooked up. I love it because Solomon gives credit to his parents in many of the Proverbs for teaching him wisdom. These very same parents who had blown it so huge. Gives me so much hope that God can still use me even after I fall. And He can use you too!
David's defences were crumbling. There were broken down places in David's walls. The picture here was of the walls that fortified a city. Take Ninevah for instance, the walls around Ninevah were so wide that several chariots could ride side by side on them. They were inpenetrable! These defences are as important to us today in our protection from the enemy as they were then from their enemies. We must be aware of the enemy's schemes and have built walls of defence around our hearts and minds.
Next thing you know, Bathsheba is sending word to David that she is pregnant. I am sure the blood rushed to his face in panic as his heart beat wildly. Immediately he started scheming how he could cover up his mistake. He sent for her husband hoping that he would come home from the battlefield, sleep with his wife and then he could think that the baby was his. But Uriah was a man of greater integrity, at least at this moment in this circumstance. Uriah refused to go in and enjoy his wife while his men were still on the battlefield. So the next night David decided to get Uriah a little drunk so that he would sleep with his wife. Again Uriah did not go home to Bathsheba. So, what was he going to do now? David then writes to Joab, the commander, to place Uriah on the front lines of battle and tell everyone else to retreat. Then he sends this written order to Joab in Uriah's hands. Unbelievable!
So Uriah is sent to his death and once the time of mourning is over David sends for Bathsheba and marries her.
David and Bathsheba's baby dies and God tells David through the prophet, Nathan that there will be violence in his family from then on as a consequence of David's sin. Don't miss that. There are consequences to sin that can live with you forever. I was just thinking about Uriah's family and how David had a brother, husband, son killed when he had Uriah killed. I am sure he lived with that pain for the rest of his life. And just imagine if he and Bathesheba got into an argument. Can't you almost hear her say, "oh ya, I guess your gonna put me on the front lines and have everyone else retreat. That was brilliant!"

So, let's score David here. what do you think? I'm thinking a big fat F! But here is where God's measurements differ so vastly from mine and I am so glad they do! God looked at Saul and though he had done almost everything right, Saul was not repentant but was defensive. Whereas David, once he was convicted of his sin, was so grieved over it. Psalm 51 is Davids lament.

1Have mercy on me, O God,
according to your steadfast love;
according to your abundant mercy
blot out my transgressions.
2 Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity,
and cleanse me from my sin!
3 For I know my transgressions,
and my sin is ever before me.
4 Against you, you only, have I sinned
and done what is evil in your sight,
so that you may be justified in your words
and blameless in your judgment.
5Behold,(K) I was brought forth in iniquity,
and in sin did my mother conceive me.
6Behold, you delight in truth in the inward being,
and you teach me wisdom in the secret heart.

7Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;
wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
8Let me hear joy and gladness;
let the bones that you have broken rejoice.
9 Hide your face from my sins,
and blot out all my iniquities.
10Create in me a clean heart, O God,
and renew a right spirit within me.
11Cast me not away from your presence,
and take not your Holy Spirit from me.
12Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
and uphold me with a willing spirit.

13Then I will teach transgressors your ways,
and sinners will return to you.
14Deliver me from blood guiltiness, O God,
O God of my salvation,
and my tongue will sing aloud of your righteousness.
15O Lord, open my lips,
and my mouth will declare your praise.
16 For you will not delight in sacrifice, or I would give it;
you will not be pleased with a burnt offering.
17The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit;
a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.

18 Do good to Zion in your good pleasure;
build up the walls of Jerusalem;
19then will you delight in right sacrifices,
in burnt offerings and whole burnt offerings;
then bulls will be offered to the altar

When God chose David he was choosing a man after his own heart and that is what David came to be known as. David presents the perfect picture of redemption. No wonder he authored most of the Psalms. Jesus says in Luke 7:47 He who has been forgiven much loves much. David loved much. I take such comfort in his stories. David could make some pretty big mistakes. But he also knew how to face his consequences with a broken and contrite heart. He knew to humble himself before the Lord. I am sure there were times when he wrestled with pride but he always came back to the realization of God's supremacy in his life. I love that about David. I want to be like that. I also love the picture we get of the heart of God. He is slow to anger and abounding in love. He is quick to forgive. He even sent His own son to die just so we could have unhindered fellowship with Him. I am amazed at the love God shows me continually. I am so far from where I want to be and He is so patient. He is with you too. I hope you don't miss that. He knows your sin and loves you still. He's right there if you need to turn from sin and run to Him, you won't run far. He has followed you all the way. Just like He followed David. God wanted to have a right relationship with David and that is where conviction comes from. If you are feeling convicted, Hebrews 12 tells us not to take lightly the correction of the Lord because He corrects those He loves and disciplines every son he receives. Let God do His work in you and you will experience the peace and righteousness of God Himself. There really is nothing better!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment