Thursday, May 28, 2009

sifting

God has recently cemented Luke 22:31-32 in my mind.
"Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift you as wheat. But I have prayed for you Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers."
Here Jesus is telling Peter that the enemy had petitioned the Father to wage war on Peter at the time when he would be the most vulnerable. Peter was passionate about Jesus. He was the one who saw Jesus out on the water and wanted to get to him. He stepped out of the boat. He loved Jesus and had already shown that he hated the idea of Jesus sufferring so. Satan knew Peter too. Satan knew this would be the opportune time to attack. He does that, you know. He doesn't play fair. He doesn't see us struggle and suffer and think, "I really shouldn't kick the poor guy while he's down". Nope that just the moment he wants to start wailing on us. Fortunately, he must go through the Father to get to us and what's more, we have Jesus at the right hand of the throne of God who ever lives to make intercession for us! That is utterly amazing that our precious savior would descend to earth and suffer so and as Hebrews says 'for the joy set before Him endured the cross.' The joy set before him was fellowship with me, with you! Incredible! And here in this passage Jesus tells Peter that he has prayed for him. Wow. And this is when Jesus tells him that Peter would betray his master before the rooster crows 3 times! It's intresting too that Jesus doesn't say Peter, Peter. He says Simon, Simon. I guess the Father had decided to allow Satan to sift Peter because he knew that Peter still needed some Simon sifted out of him. God would go on to use Peter in incredible ways, Peter was crucial in the establishment of the church. Could God have done it without Peter? Of course! But he didn't. I love that Jesus offerred Peter the encouragement that he would return and the admonishment to strengthen his brothers. Jesus knew Peter would fail, he had already done so many times, and yet Jesus loved him so dearly and used him so mightily.
Oh how I identify with Peter. Sure I'd rather be like Paul or John or Mary but I am who I am and I am so grateful that though I fail, my Jesus loves me enough to refine me, pick me up, and use me for His glory. That's my hearts desire, to bring Him glory. I wish I never failed. But I am so thankful to have Jesus praying for me and knowing I will return when I stray, and that He will use me to strengthen others. May it be so!

No comments:

Post a Comment